Since the 16th century, the Franche-Comté forges masters trained blacksmiths in metal jobs. In 1916, Paul Faber decided to locate Champagnole steelworks in the Jura region. Between 1917 and 1939, Champgnole steelworks experienced strong growth with the acquisition of various furnaces and the creation of a chemistry laboratory. In the 1990s, the site was bought by the ERAMET Groupe and Erasteel company was created.
Erasteel Champagnole site currently has approximately 50 employees and is part of Erasteel, one of the world's leaders in high-speed steels and powder metallurgy. It designs flat and square products for the aerospace, nuclear, defense, watches and tools markets. The products are used to produce cutting tools, bimetal saws, parts for nuclear reactors or titanium watch cases among other things.