The 22nd Nickels de l’Initiative generated great interest with 92 entries. SLN will help the 14 projects selected by the jury to become reality.
The lucky winners received their award on October 3rd at a ceremony organised in New Celedonia’s Maritime Museum. They will share CFP 5 million (approx. €42,000) in grants from SLN.
This financial support will help the following projects come to life:
- Participation in the world futsal championship for a team of young people from Tir Valley.
- An awareness-raising programme on environmental cleanliness in the Montravel district, by the ONG Cosmos.
- "Araxa", prototype surveillance equipment for sea or land sites.
- Posters raising awareness of land reptile conservation.
- A shelter for revegetation of Pouebo mountain and mangrove.
- A traveling show by Assoc Vocal featuring traditional singing.
- A brochure by the New Caledonia Maritime Museum on the history of wrecks in the area.
- A new telescope for the New Caledonian astronomy association.
- Percussion equipment for the company Battuk’A Kaméré.
- Production of educational material for patients on haemodialysis by the NGO ATIR.
- Setup of a reading, debate and meeting space by the NGO Népoui Omnisports.
- Creation of a therapeutic meditation space for multi-handicapped children by a local NGO, Association Calédonienne des Handicapés.
- Athlete Nicolas Brignone’s participation in the 2016 Paralympics.
- Participation by Delphine André, a swimmer with Down’s Syndrome, in the 2014 world and 2015 European swimming championships.
Since their creation, les Nickels de l’Initiative have rewarded 238 projects and given out CFP 110 million (approx. €929,000 ) in donations. The sponsorship programme’s goal is help projects become reality. SLN strives to play a part in the life of the country where it has operated for more than 130 years and to forge bonds with its inhabitants.