Exploring world-class deposits
Specialising in mining, our teams deliver multiple skills, including preliminary studies, the construction of extraction facilities, handling procedures, ore storage and processing, and logistics solutions for raw material transportation.
Both before projects and during the operational phase, we're active in project management as well as project ownership support for our customers. Our goal is two-fold: to achieve effective productions that incorporate quality, safety and environmental protection criteria.
- Manganese: active in Gabon through Comilog, as well as in Norway, in China and in the US, we are now the world's second-largest producer of high-grade manganese ore and manganese alloys.
- Nickel and cobalt: our world-class mining centres in New Caledonia, through Société Le Nickel (SLN), as well as in Indonesia make us the world's number one producer of high-grade ferronickel.
- Mineral sands: in Senegal, we're exploiting a mineral sands deposit by continuous dredging. The world's largest mining dredge operates in an artificial basin in the country, vacuuming the sand 24 hours a day.
- Lithium: by 2021 we will be exploiting a vast deposit of this metal of the future near Salta, Argentina.
On the road to the mine of the future
From machine learning tools to smart sensors, dedicated mobile apps and data exploitation, we aim to achieve our new strategic ambitions by drawing on our digital transformation. For example, to improve our mining sites' productivity, the teams at SLN recently developed a system that connects the geology data to our laboratory. This means that the results from the analysis of geolocated samples are available in real time on the geologists' tablets.
Processing raw materials: a cutting-edge skill
Once extracted, the raw material is processed according to its specific characteristics and future uses. To achieve this, our experts apply the appropriate process to the extracted product: ore processing, hydrometallurgy, pyrometallurgy, etc. We deliver our cutting-edge expertise in refining metallurgy at many sites across the globe, including:
- Our plant in Doniambo, New Caledonia, where we convert nickel ore into ferronickel (FeNi) for the stainless steel market. Dried beforehand, the ore is roasted by melting-reduction, then processed.
- At the Sandouville plant, we apply hydrometallurgical processes to convert nickel matte into:
• very high purity nickel metal
• very high purity nickel chloride
• very high purity nickel carbonate
• liquid cobalt chloride
• liquid iron chloride
- At the Tyssedal plant in Norway, ilmenite from mineral sands is converted into titanium dioxide slag and high-purity pig iron after being concentrated, separated and dried.
- Based on Weda Bay ore, a project to recover nickel using a nickel ferroalloy pyrometallurgical process is currently in development, in partnership with the Chinese steel company Tsingshan.